There are different ways you can use coconut oil on your hair, but the best way to use it is to apply it to your hair, let it sit for 2 hours, or overnight, then wash it with shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
How to apply it:
- Finger de-tangle your hair or use a wide tooth comb to get rid of knots.
- Apply the oil from roots to ends while massaging the scalp.
- Braid or twist the hair if it is long enough.
- Cover your head with a plastic cap and let it sit for two hours.
- Or, you can cover your head with a plastic cap, wrap it with a good scarf and let it sit overnight.
- Shampoo your hair, condition it (not deep condition), and moisturize your hair as usual.
91% of your hair is protein, and coconut oil is known to reduce the loss of protein from the hair. Protein is what gives your hair strength. A regular coconut oil treatment can help the hair keep its natural protein. It can add shine to the hair, eliminate frizzes, moisturize it, and condition it as well.
There are many other ways to use coconut oil, like the video above suggests, but the best way to use coconut oil is on dry hair (pre-wash) so the oil can easily penetrate the hair shaft. The best way for me may not be best way for you. I know women who mix the coconut oil with another oil because their scalp is sensitive to the oil.
Other ways to use coconut oil on your hair:
- Apply it to your scalp before a scalp massage
- Add it to your deep conditioning treatment
- Add it to your regular conditioner to tame frizz
- Use it as a leave-in conditioner after shampooing.
- Use it as a sealer after moisturizing your ends
- Mix it with your everyday hair cream
- Mix it with your Shea butter for extra moisture
- Mix it with rose water, Aloe Vera juice, and use it as a spritz
- Add it to your homemade deep conditioner
- Add it to your homemade shampoo
- Use it as a hot oil treatment
How do you use coconut oil?